Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DaveClark
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
X100 X100S 4-way Controller Debacle
Jan 10, 2013

When the X100 came out I read a lot of complaints about the lousy 4-way controller on the rear. Many had trouble pressing the correct functions because their fingers were too large and the dial too squirrely. Some went so far as to glue plastic pieces in the OK/Menu button and/or resort to growing their thumbnail to use the wheel.

If you look at early pre-production pictures of the X100 you can see that the plate surrounding the 4-way controller was reversed! Actually, it is now reversed from the original design and it looks like it is an afterthought. Nowhere else do you see such a concaved plate on other cameras. It is obvious that Fujifilm knew this was a big goof and scrambled to “fix” it without having to spend money redesigning it after complaints started rolling in by those who got pre-production samples. Instead, they just flipped it over.

(This is the controller plate which has the white silkscreened symbols on it such as, macro, flash…)

When I saw a picture of the X100S, the first thing I looked at was the rear 4-way controller and was HUGELY disappointed that Fujifilm did not fix this glaring problem in what is otherwise an excellent camera. I own an X100 and love it, and would nearly purchase an X100S if it weren’t for this one stupid flaw that they could have fixed and SHOULD have fixed when they had a second chance. Fujifilm knew better than to repeat the problem with the X-Pro1, but apparently feel locked in to the X00-series design to provide continuity with the brand.

I’ll skip this year’s X100S and wait for the next iteration and hope they address this problem with the X100SL.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow