Nikon D800 or Oly OM-D?

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dave Sanders
Contributing MemberPosts: 754Gear list
Like?
Re: Great shots! And an OT question...
In reply to marike6, Jan 10, 2013

marike6 wrote:

As far as the 70-200 f4 VR, I could not be happier with it. It's extremely sharp, has good bokeh, and is considerably smaller and lighter weight than the 70-200 2.8 VR II. It's almost exactly the same size as the Canon 70-200 f4 IS L.

Perfect size

I'm now in Europe with my D800, 28-50-85 1.8G lenses, and the 70-200 f4 VR in a Lowepro Mini Trekker backpack (Also have my GH2 and a Nikon V1 for video, walking around, and casual snaps in a separate shoulder bag).

Great kit...I'm envious! I unloaded a few lenses to pick up the OM-D but I still have my 50/1.8, 105/2.8 and 180/2.8 plus a couple of AI-S lenses. I really want to replace the 180 with the 70-200/4 and pick up the D800 some time in the future. My father uses the 28/1.8 on his D700 and I must say, it's proven to be an impressive lens so far.

The VR of the 70-200 f4G ED VR works extremely well. Nikon claims it provides up to 5 stops, and that is pretty much in line with my experience so far. Also for video, the 70-200 f4 VR is one of the few lenses I've used that I can handhold and get smooth footage.

Also great to know.

Here's a quick video of from the 70-200 f4 VR handheld without any rig whatsoever.

70-200 f4G ED VR Handheld (no rig)

I've been really impressed with the IBIS in the OM-D for video...it's like a steady cam. Very nice. I'm not a video guy at all but my experience with the OM-D and now your video with the 70-200/4 have got me thinking. The new zoom looks like a winner. I'm pretty happy to be an Olympus/Nikon shooter these days. Great time to be a photographer all around, really!

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow