What is with this "shutter shock" worry?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
stefano888
Senior MemberPosts: 1,004Gear list
Like?
Re: You seem to understand part of it well...
In reply to Paul De Bra, Jan 10, 2013

Paul De Bra wrote:

The reduced mass of camera and lenses and the absence of mirror slap make shutter shock a possible cause for some visible blur.

But there is a second factor: With the dslr the shutter is closed and to take a picture it just opens and closes. With m43 the shutter is open (to allow the sensor to feed the lcs and/or evf) so when you want to take a picture the shutter first closes and then opens to take the picture (and then closes again and opens again). It seems that the closing of the shutter produces a bit more shock than opening. As a result the "anti-shock" feature of at least some m43 cameras helps: it introduces a short delay after closing the shutter before the shutter opens, thus eliminating the shock from closing the shutter.

The root cause of why the problem isn't eliminated in camera by default is that cameras nowadays need to be lightning fast for marketing reasons. A very small delay (say 1/10s) between closing the shutter and opening it would eliminate shutter shock (from closing) but would have the camera killed in marketing and reviews. I have my E-M5 set on 1/8s anti-shock delay and for the most part this delay doesn't bother me as much as the visible blur when anti-shock is not on.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Hi Paul!

I see that you are very competent in this topic.

Have you done some experimentations with  anti-shock  turned on and off?

Is there a big difference? Thank you very much.

-- hide signature --

(equipment in profile)
stefano-italy

stefano888's gear list:stefano888's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow