Portability v Quality are we obsessed by size?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,871
Like?
Portability v Quality are we obsessed by size?
Jan 10, 2013

Going back over 10 years you had to buy a DSLR if you wanted anything like good IQ, however recent improvements in technology has given us the opportunity to gain better performance out of much smaller cameras, but at what cost?

For instance convenience appears to be at the top of many peoples priorities, just look at how many images are taken on the iphone for example. Yes there is nowhere near the IQ but for many an acceptable quality is good enough for the discreet photographer looking for convenience.

Now the edges get very blurred when you come to choosing a new camera in 2013!

The option of going for a small compact system (OMD-EM5 or FujiEX1) for example against say a Canon 6D or similar is still a tough decision for me.

The compact camera systems tend to lack AF speed, high ISO performance and focus tracking etc, but weigh a fraction of the big cameras, whislt the DSLR's give you the ultimate control and performance.

So in an age where we (including me) are obsessed by getting the very very best images out of the smallest system, is it really worth sacrificing 1 pound in weight for lesser quality?

The only camera that comes close to ticking the boxes is the Sony RX1 but then its a fixed lens and optional EVF.

I would be interested to hear from people who have had a dilema about protability and quality and have either:

1. Kept two systems, compact and DSLR and if so is there not a dilelma of which one to take with you?

2. Gone with a compact system and love or regret it?

3. Kept the DSLR because the compact system still not quit as good?

I guess it much depends what type of photography you take and this will most likely determin if you can get away with a smaller package.

For exapmle why use a wired hammer drill for drilling a small hole to hang a picture, I guess you would use a cordless drill!!! different gear for different jobs.

Ian

Canon EOS 6D Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow