Senior MemberPosts: 1,294
Like?
Re: SLRGear tests the 70-200/4 VR
In reply to jhinkey, Jan 10, 2013

jhinkey wrote:

Gabbro wrote:

jhinkey wrote:

Gabbro wrote:

It is an excellent lens, but not quite match the 70-200 mm 2.8 VRII. If I don't already have the 2.8 VRII and 70-300 mm VR, this will definitely be one.

Well then SLR gear got a dud of a 70-200/4 because mine at 200mm is every bit as good in the center as my 70-200/2.8 VRII and is a bit better in the edges and far corners than the f/2.8 VR II version. This is on a D800.

Could have been YOU got a dud 70-200 VRII?

Likely not as I tested two of them before getting the second of the two. They both behaved roughly the same except the first one was decentered.

Plus, Nikon's computed MTF plots back this up as well - i.e., being much sharper wide open on the 200mm end than on the 70mm end at infinity focus.

John

Mine is tack sharp at 70mm wide open, corner-to-corner (on a D800). There might be some front-focusing at 70mm. I had to adjust mine quite a bit (+10) to get it to focus properly at infinity. But once I did that, I can't tell any difference in sharpness between 70 and 200mm.

There is quite a bit of sample variation with this lens though. I tested three (four actually, I rented one also), before I finally found one that didn't have some kind of defect.

-- hide signature --

Fabian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow