Nikon D800 or Oly OM-D?

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Great shots! And an OT question...
In reply to Dave Sanders, Jan 10, 2013

Dave Sanders wrote:

Great shots, Markus. I particularly like number 3 with the smart phone...I've seen that look from my daughter before.

OT question: how are you liking the Nikon 70-200/4? Looks pretty slick in those shots. This is definitely a lens I'm interested in. I had the 70-200/4 when I shot Canon and it was the one I really didn't want to get rid of and I'm happy to see Nikon introduced an equivalent.

Thanks a lot, Dave.  She has an iPhone, and is obsessed with photographing everything in sight.

As far as the 70-200 f4 VR, I could not be happier with it.  It's extremely sharp, has good bokeh, and is considerably smaller and lighter weight than the 70-200 2.8 VR II.  It's almost exactly the same size as the Canon 70-200 f4 IS L.  I'm now in Europe with my D800, 28-50-85 1.8G lenses, and the 70-200 f4 VR in a Lowepro Mini Trekker backpack (Also have my GH2 and a Nikon V1 for video, walking around, and casual snaps in a separate shoulder bag).

The VR of the 70-200 f4G ED VR works extremely well.  Nikon claims it provides up to 5 stops, and that is pretty much in line with my experience so far.  Also for video, the 70-200 f4 VR is one of the few lenses I've used that I can handhold and get smooth footage.  The only other lens I know of that does as well is the new Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC.

Here's a quick video of from the 70-200 f4 VR handheld without any rig whatsoever.

70-200 f4G ED VR Handheld (no rig)

Lastly, DxOMark has tested the 70-200 f4 VR and found it to be an extremely sharp lens that performs very well on the D800/D800E.

All in all, a very compact, well built lens.  A highly recommended optic.

Thanks for your comments and Happy New Year, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow