Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,476Gear list
Fuji hands-on at CES 2013
Jan 10, 2013

A full day at CES today, and I made straight for the Fuji stand in the central hall.

Fuji had a good display of technology from snappy cams through the X series, to pro TV cameras and lab photo printing machines.

I spent about an hour with the Fuji team. looking at the new equipment and asking as many questions as I could.

It looks and feels exactly like the original X100 - only the S gives it away.

All accessories fit the new camera, and they have designed a new leather case with a built-in flap for the battery/SD Card slot.

The rear of the camera has a minor change, the RAW button is now the Q button.

Manual AF is easier as the lens now requires fewer turns to move focus.

The Menu for MF allows you to select split screen focus (shown above) which delivers a nice digital form of the old focus technology - it's easy to decide if focus has been achieved, and it works well.

You can also select the focus peaking feature.

This shows areas that are in focus with a ring type highlight - and is very effective when using the EVF. Its's very clear what is in focus using peaking - a good addition for MF users.

The Fuji reps said that both features required the new focus sensors in the X-Trans II, so would not be implemented in older cameras using firmware.

The X100S is silver only for now - they were tight lipped about a black version - but one rep suggested that three months after launch there might be more news...

Over-all the camera looks the same, performs faster for AF, and has the new features - a good upgrade.

I've not used the older X-10, so this was all new to me.

Very similar look to the X100S - also available in black from day 1. Good build quality and weight - very small with zoom retracted.

AF seems snappy and the rear screen is good - no focus peaking or split screen as far as I could tell.

Both the X100S and the X-20 were pre-production models, so I was not allowed to take any images with them.

X Series 14mm Lens

I got the chance to fit the 14mm lens to my X-Pro1 and take some test shots at the show - the lens needs new camera firmware to enable all functions, which was unavailable, but it seemed to perform AF just fine.

Here's the 14mm on the X-E1 (ignore the incorrect lens hood)

And here are some test shots taken with my X-Pro1

Close Focus - which is extremely close!

The 14mm has fast AF, and very little distortion - it feels solid and well made, with smooth AF, and a typical aperture ring just like the previous primes.

The additional manual focus scale is a nice feature.

Very happy with the quick test - I will be buying this lens as soon as available - Fuji reps suggested within the next 2 weeks.

There was an additional case of X Series Lenses - with many future lenses represented - these lenses were not available to handle or use, so could have been pre-production dummies. I was told that Fuji plan 12 lens releases by the end of 2013.

Activity was high on the stand - lots of interest - and the X-20 had just won an award at CES so the Fuji team were very buoyant.

They confirmed that they had not seen the cameras at all until Monday - they were kept completely under wraps by Fuji Japan.

-- hide signature --

Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow