L Series Lens? Or Purchase full frame camera?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Questions thread
Matty W
Regular MemberPosts: 195
Like?
No one answer.
In reply to John Apsey, Jan 10, 2013

For scenery and landscapes the proper lens would be a tilt shift lens, likely the 17mm and/or 24mm for architecture and then possibly going tighter for landscapes depending on style.

The 50mm f1.8 is my favorite lens on my Mark III and the 50mm f1.4 is quite good, too. This (or a fast 35mm) on full frame is my favorite camera for general use, but this is just personal preference. I do think you would like the combination of the 50mm f1.4 and a full frame camera, though, if you are partial to this field of view at all.

For weddings you'd want one camera with a wide zoom and one with a long zoom. Or if you are gutsy a wide prime and long prime or somesuch, but one lens alone likely won't cut it and the 50mm focal length can be tricky to use because at a normal distance from the subject it doesn' provide t a wide "room" shot or a portrait and it distorts perspective too much for flattering portraiture.

If you want to do it all consider the excellent 17-55mm IS, which could function as a normal zoom for weddings that can do a space or a portrait. It's also wide enough for some architecture if you are okay correcting for perspective in post or stitching to go wide.

Figure out what focal lengths you need and what your other priorities are (good AF, good high ISO, etc.) and then it will be easy to make a choice. There are great options under $2,000 but at that price you can't get it all -- and the do-it-all options such as the 24-105mm f4 IS lens on full frame or 17-55mm f2.8 IS on APS-C suffer in every respect relative to more special-purpose choices. Which might be okay for you, but you'll need to compromise somewhere.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow