Camera Advice? DSLR vs. P&S to go along with current cam...

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EmCoggins
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Camera Advice? DSLR vs. P&S to go along with current cam...
Jan 10, 2013

So I have just recently gotten into photography and started learning about it. I fully plan on moving from AUTO mode & have already started to do so. A few months ago I purchased my 1st camera, a Sony NEX-F3. I really liked that I can use so many different lenses with it (via adapters) along with the increasing lineup of E-mount lenses. I also wasn't sure whether or not I was ready to go for a DSLR. So I made the purchas.

Lately I've been considering adding one of the enthusiast P&S's such as Sony RX100 or Canon G15 etc. with nice manual controls so that I could have something a little bit easier to have on me at all times/keep in the car for when I'm out that type of deal. But in the last maybe 2 weeks, I've also started to consider getting a DSLR instead to help in my learning. I got some photography books for christmas & read that a wired/wireless shutter remote is beneficial in getting sharp pictures. I would like to get one but was somewhat disappointed to find that the NEX-F3 isn't compatible with any. As I'm learning about things like WB & exposure compensation, I would like to have the buttons/settings quickly available to me whereas on the F3 they a little less  readily accessible. I also sometimes would like a viewfinder. I kno I can buy the EVF but for the same price or a bit more I can get a used DSLR. So this is why I'm considering a DSLR. With the thought of possibly keeping the F3 as the smaller/portable camera, as it has its advantages over P&S's. (got a 28mm SLR Magic lens that isn't too big & the camera is very portable with it attached) I was just very put off by the inability to use the remote shutter as it seems to be beneficial, or is it not that big a deal?

I don't feel the need or have the money for brand new DSLR as that could potentially be too much camera for me at the moment. I have been mainly looking at used DSLRs which aren't too much but still good cameras. Some I've looked at are: Nikon 200D, D90, 1Dx (used but very cheap), Canon 40D, Pentax K-x, Sony A700, A35, A55, A57, A550. I don't have a big budget so I've been looking at cameras that are between $250-$450 for the body and I can spend a little more potentially on lenses. I am kind of interested in the Sony's because with the adapter I could begin to swap lenses between a DSLR & my F3, making it a little easier to buy lenses. Plus there seems to be a good amount of at least decent Minolta glass at a reasonable used price to tide me over til I could afford something like a Zeiss. But I am by no means brand loyal and am open to all brands/suggestions. I am a little nervous about the EVF on a few of the Sony's as opposed to an optical VF.

So what would anyone recommend or can anyone speak from experience? Would it be more of an advantage to get a P&S to accompany the F3? Or would a older, used DSLR be more beneficial for my learning? I imagine any of the ones I've seen would give me pretty good IQ for the time being & that I could find reasonably priced decent glass. I'm more concerned with learning to properly use cameras & aspects of photography before I concern myself with getting top quality images, gear etc. I realize that I can't just begin getting awesome IQ out of the box. Thanks in advance for any feedback! & sorry for the length of the post, just wanted to make sure I got as much info in as possible

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow