Call me crazy - not sure about the X-E1 and if I should keep it!

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ozonation
Contributing MemberPosts: 507
Like?
Call me crazy - not sure about the X-E1 and if I should keep it!
Jan 10, 2013

I had earlier posted about the merits of the OVF on the XP1 vs the EVF on the X-E1, and although I'm used to an optical viewfinder, an extraordinary deal on the X-E1 tipped me, I decided to get the X-E1 with the kit 18-55 f2.8-f4. Keep in mind that prior to this purchase, I had the chance to use a friend's X-E1 with the same lens in a real shooting scenario: I shot about 200 shots for about 45 minutes. So, it wasn't a whole day photo outing, but certainly much more than just a few minutes handling in a store, and I felt I handled the camera sufficiently to assess it. I thought it was a fine camera, EVF and all.

In addition, I had read one review which said that the EVF on the X-E1 was jittery when you panned, but by focusing on a spot first and then moving, the EVF image cleared up substantially. When I tried this with my friend's camera, this certainly seemed to be the case, and I was shooting basketball players warming up - not an easy scene to shoot! The camera also felt quite comfortable in hand. So, I had no concerns about getting the X-E1.

... but when my purchase arrived the other day, I found that the EVF seemed far more jittery when I panned than I remember seeing on my friend's X-E1. I thought perhaps that I'm just so used to an optical viewfinder (Nikon D3s), that I've forgotten the limits to an EVF - except when I picked up my 2 year old Panasonic GH2, I discovered that its EVF when panning - although not as high resolution as the Fuji - looked far, far less broken up. The Fuji also seemed smaller in hand and less comfortable to hold than I remembered, although maybe this just takes some getting used to.

I really, really want to like the X-E1 - the images are fantastic and the 18-55 lens puts all other short zoom lens to shame - but the jittery EVF is more bothersome to me than I would have thought.

Is it just me? Is this a real limitation? Is there a setting I can adjust? If I decided on the XP1 and its OVF, would it "solve" my EVF issue, or would there be another issue I'd then have to deal with?

Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D3S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow