IS blurring : does your 24-105mm f4 L have this problem?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tim73
Regular MemberPosts: 428
Like?
IS blurring : does your 24-105mm f4 L have this problem?
Jan 10, 2013

I recently acquired a 24-105mm f4 L IS lens, and noticed that the IS causes excessive image blurring at apertures narrower than f4 (see images below).  I could simply send it back to Canon for repair, but other people have reported a similar problem so I'm wondering if this is a design fault.

Does your version of this lens also have this problem?  Whether it does or does not, I'd be glad to hear from you.

Four shots were taken at each setting to show that the effect is consistent.  All shots were taken hand-held with IS on.  The serial number of my lens is 427xxxx, purchased in November 2012.

The IS is claimed to give a three-stop advantage, so I would expect a shutter speed of 1/3s to be usable at 24mm.  At 105mm 1/13s should be usable, so at 1/5s I am slightly outside the spec.  However I would not expect the IS to cause extra blurring at f5.6.  The degree of blurring with IS on is somewhat worse than with IS switched off.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow