Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,052Gear list
Like?
RX1 EVF Ergonomics
Jan 10, 2013

I've been toying with my RX1 since I got it back yesterday. When it comes to EVF use, if it is folded down, like I assume many people use it, my nose butts up against the upper left corner of the LCD, and as I focus with my hand under the lens it feels like the heel of my hand is about to touch my chin, because of the relatively short lens and thin body. In fact my fingers and wrist are in a bit of an awkward position because of the close proximity of the focus ring, my left hand trying to hold the camera and my chin. Alternatively, I could use improper form and just touch the focus ring with my fingers and hold the camera with my right hand. I really have to have my left elbow bent and my arms tucked solidly into my body to make it all work. While this may be an ideal taught stance to reduce shake, for me it is darn uncomfortable.

Anyway, I have discovered if I articulate the EVF to 45 degrees and with the slightest bend in my neck creating just slightly more room between my arms and body but my eye looking down into the EVF, my eye actually has a better look at the viewfinder, my nose is placed above the camera and I have a better angle to rest the camera in my left palm and focus with my fingers. My right hand need only gently squeeze the shutter release. My body and the whole shooting experience feels much more comfortable. In hindsight, I think Tim Ashley made a vague reference to this stance in his EVF review.

Was wondering if other have tried using the EVF this way or are having a different experience?

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow