Picked up an Epson 4800 my friend thought was junk but it is now my treasure!

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bluehighwayman
Regular MemberPosts: 132Gear list
Like?
Picked up an Epson 4800 my friend thought was junk but it is now my treasure!
Jan 9, 2013

My friend left his Epson 4800 sitting for two years with ink unused.  Needless to say it didn't print when he turned it on.  The newest ink cartridge in the machine was dated 11/2010.  So I took it off his hands and installed a new print head, dampers, flushed all the ink lines and cleaned the flushing station and reset the waste tank.   I did no power cleaning cycles instead I just disconnected the ink lines at the damper and used a syringe to purge the lines so there was minimal ink loss.  Whenever I notice an air bubble I purged the line as above.  Costs were under $600 US except of course the new ink cartridges which ran another $500.  I did it to learn about the printer because I'm sure there are those folks here who would call it a waste of money on old troublesome technology. The printer is now printing beautiful photos with absolutely no problems.   If I were to have to leave the printer sitting for a long period of time I would just install cartridges full of cleaning solution and purge all the lines.  Been using the printer for about six months with not a hiccup and I don't print everyday or in quantity.

The Red River Polar Pearl Metallic Plus 80 Lb Paper is awesome on this machine as is the Ilford Smooth Pearl Paper.

bluehighwayman's gear list:bluehighwayman's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow