Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dcheney
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Auto focus lag - Startup slow - A99
Jan 9, 2013

So I got the a99 about a month and a half ago...but haven't been super impressed. I'm not sure if my camera has a bug, or if it is just the A99 in general.

1)    In in AF-S, AF-A and AF-C modes the camera will focus, and look like it should be ready to take the shot, but then it will hang (not locking the af and not allowing you to take the picture), just long enough to miss the smile or purpose, and if the subject is moving (even a little bit), then the autofocus will hang long enough where the person moves and it will have to refocus. As for Autofocus bracketing I’ve used center weight and just normal (all). I had the a700, which I usually just used center spot, and it was much quicker. (the auto focus in general just doesn’t seem to track well and hunts more on AF-C mode)

2)    Startup can be sluggish. It seems like the view finder lights up first, but the top LCD can take 3-4 seconds, and it usually takes about 2-4 seconds to get your first picture. That’s a long time compared to the a700, especially when just trying to catch a moment. Sometimes it is slightly faster, but not normally.

3)    If I try to start the camera, and then hit the play button to review photos it can take 4-5 seconds to process that.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? I’m using the Sony 50mm 1.4 and Sigma 70-200 2.8, but I notice it happening a little more on the Sigma, which I think is just because of the telephoto part.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow