Is this backfocus? D7000 with 70-300mm Fine tuning needed?

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Manfred Bachmann
Contributing MemberPosts: 793Gear list
Like?
Re: More focus testing
In reply to TAM63, Jan 9, 2013

TAM63 wrote:

Well I am beginning to think this whole lot is going to have to go to Nikon to be calibrated or whatevered. I went outside and did the whole thing - each lens at zoomed all they way in, in the middle, and all the way out. Live view, 0, -5, -10, -15 - 3 shots of each.

Just in case anyone has anything to say here that I've done wrong, here's what I can think of

bright day, tripod, unfocused manually, focus, shot with remote. Opened all the way up, low ISO (very fast shutter speed since it was bright out). 50xfocal length for distance.

My old 55mm, at that distance, when the D7000 thinks it is in focus, it most certainly is not. The focus chart is completely illegible. I didn't try fine tuning that or anything, just left that alone for now. Usually I manually focus it, and when I "trust" the little green ball, at a reasonable distance it seems ok(ish). Not my main concern at the moment.

My 18-70mm was horrendous at 18mm, no fine tuning really helped. I had sent yesterdays photos to Nikon, and they said something looked really wrong with that lens. It wasn't bad in the middle, ok-ish at 70mm. But pretty soft generaly, including live view.

The 70-300mm I suspect is working correctly. Sharp in live view, maybe -10 fine tuning needed. So ok. However, I am pretty disappointed with how soft it is at 300, even in live view. It looks to me like it is significantly softer than shorter focal lengths. I am going to retry that to make sure. To me, it's soft enough that I wouldn't really use it (at 300mm) for any photo I really wanted, which sort of defeats the purpose of buying a lens like that. Again, I will try it again to make sure, and hope I'm mistaken.

All this i have had also with two secondhand cameras and was not so happy with this camera which i sold after few days of frustration! Then i bought a refurb. Body with 4000 klicks from Nikon Austria with full waranty, and wooww, this thing is so sharp with all my lenses at +-0, it´s just incredible!! Let Nikon calbrate the Af and you will be very happy, 100%!

manfred

-- hide signature --

Pbase supporter, NPS Austria
http://www.pbase.com/manfred_b/candid

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
CDAFNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow