Flat view
MikeSE25
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Low Light Options
Jan 9, 2013

Hello,

My question to you guys with understanding of these things;-

I live in the UK and we get a lot of dark cloudy days in winter, often very poor light. I need a camera that will give good low light performance for photographing birds etc at long zoom (and not cripple me financially).

My first thought was a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 which has a fixed 25-600mm (35mm equiv) Leica Lens at f2.8 throughout the zoom range. Sensor size is a big limitation, but at least I might get the shot. The cost would be around £430.

In another forum it has been suggested that a 4/3 camera with a long zoom might be better. I am drawn to an Olympus PEN E-PL5  (no viewfinder fitted - a pain) with an  Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm Lens    Does anyone have any knowledge of this lens? Cost around £1200

However, although I know that the Olympus combinations are considerably superior, certainly its noise performance at any given ISO is much better than the Panasonic, will it be as good or better at getting such a shot?

Is there anything else I should think about?

Any help you can give would be greatfully received.

ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow