Which prime

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
BobSC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,664
Re: Not recommended over zoom

ARShutterbug wrote:

What's this "1st" requirement? Travel photos, as in the ones that you sell for printing in tourism brochures or documenting places and events? I really wouldn't recommend a prime lens for this requirement, unless you have a preference for a fixed focal length. I would use a lens like the Canon 24-105, because the zoom is more convenient and the quality is not much different from a lens like the 35 f/1.4. You'll probably find that the prime lens won't get used much, and I suggest considering a lens that offers something in a different focal length that you may not have already, like a 14 mm ultra-wide or 400 mm telephoto.

Don't know about Canon, but my wife, who is not a photographer, noticed the higher image quality in my 50/1.4 vs. the Nikon 18-55. She attributed it to the "new" camera, which actually has somewhat lower image quality (a used d200 vs the d3100).

The 18-55 our original poster owns is a reasonable lens, but it tends to be flat and soft. You can kind of overcome soft, but flat you can't do anything about.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow