Which prime

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Questions thread
BobSC
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,033
Like?
Re: Not recommended over zoom
In reply to ARShutterbug, Jan 9, 2013

ARShutterbug wrote:

What's this "1st" requirement? Travel photos, as in the ones that you sell for printing in tourism brochures or documenting places and events? I really wouldn't recommend a prime lens for this requirement, unless you have a preference for a fixed focal length. I would use a lens like the Canon 24-105, because the zoom is more convenient and the quality is not much different from a lens like the 35 f/1.4. You'll probably find that the prime lens won't get used much, and I suggest considering a lens that offers something in a different focal length that you may not have already, like a 14 mm ultra-wide or 400 mm telephoto.

Don't know about Canon, but my wife, who is not a photographer, noticed the higher image quality in my 50/1.4 vs. the Nikon 18-55. She attributed it to the "new" camera, which actually has somewhat lower image quality (a used d200 vs the d3100).

The 18-55 our original poster owns is a reasonable lens, but it tends to be flat and soft. You can kind of overcome soft, but flat you can't do anything about.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow