Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
xador
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Nikon D800 or Oly OM-D?
Jan 9, 2013

I ordered a Nikon D800 and it had the left focus issue.  Returned that for another one and that one had the issue also, it was actually worse than the first one I received.  Now I’m thinking of getting the Oly OM-D E-M5.  I was giving permission from the boss to be able to get my dream camera once she became pregnant with our first kids.  My dream camera for years was a D700 but since they discontinued that and come out with the D800, I decided to buy that.  I own a Pan GF1 and it served me well when I traveled to other countries, the size was good for traveling.  Now I want a good camera to take pictures of my new kids once they arrive.  I know the D800 would produce better pictures (better IQ, more bokeh, better low light, etc.) and the OM-D is smaller and has IBIS.  But I’m just wondering if the OM-D can hold its own compared to the D800 when used with good lenses.  Can it:

1. Produce nice bokeh?
  2. Low noise at ISO 3200?
  3. Will the IBIS noise be heard when recording video?
  4. Should I get the 12-35 f/2.8 or 45 f1.8 as a first lens for taking baby pics?

I’ve never had kid so my expectations of the kind of pictures I would take at least for a few years would be static subjects with flapping arms and legs.  The D800 would be a lot to carry around if we take the kids out but not sure how often that would be.  I say that I would just bring the D800 wherever I take my kids but not sure how true that would be.  Cost is not that big an issue because I have more Nikon lenses than m4/3.  I’m going to try one more time to get a good D800.  If I don’t I may opt for the OM-D depending on the feedback I get from the community.  To think, if Nikon would have had better QC on the D800 then I would not have even thought about getting the OM-D.

Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow