There are some nice threads going here now about the G5, but...

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
gary payne
Contributing MemberPosts: 598
Like?
Re: Thanks for clarifying. Great to hear.
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Jan 9, 2013

HI Kim

I too have several G bodies, G1,Gh1, Gh2 and now the G5.

The improvement I see in metering is not necessarily attributable to the slightly better dynamic range the G5 has.  I say this because the GH1 (which I still highly admire for its clean images) had exactly the same DR figures according to DxO tests, yet it had a tendency to blow highlights too unless I compensated a bit with -1/3 or even -2/3 exposure comp.  So far, in the same photo context, at least for me, I am getting by with less compensation.  And I am saying that this improves raw conversion as far as colors and noise goes.

If you didn't experience the same problems with your older G bodies it could be how we define blow outs, or differences in film modes or what we shoot and how we shoot it.

As far as Imaging Resource comparisons go...you have a point about how they would process or not process raws for their viewers.  That could be quite subjective.  I guess the only fair way to compare the raws would be unprocessed and even that is problematic because as you probably know, raws aren't entirely raw (if they ever were) and the film mode one shoots in m4/3  has a substantial effect.

Nevertheless, Dpreview compares raws in every review and I take the comparisons seriously.  Maybe I shouldn't, but I do, trusting that there is a standard means of fair comparison.  I assume Imaging Resource could figure that out as well.  Since you and I shoot mainly raw, that would be an excellent addition to their reviews for us.   gp

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow