Best (affordable) upgrade option for the Nikkor 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 VR kit lens?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Questions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Best (affordable) upgrade option for the Nikkor 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 VR kit lens?
In reply to Suwanavi, Jan 9, 2013

Suwanavi wrote:

What is the best (affordable) zoom upgrade option for the Nikkor 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 VR kit lens? (I'd like to get the new 18-300mm later but need a more affordable option for now.) I will be shooting with the D5200 and enjoy nature, wildlife, and landscape photography.

-- hide signature --

--

I think it's important that you decide whether you want a zoom, or not.  Reason is that zooms are more flexible yes, but at the expense of some compromise.

- for landscapes some wide angle, or wide-ish, could nail it.  There's the old 20mm f2.8 not really cheap but exists 2nd hand.

- for wildlife the 18-200 is nice and fast-focusing - I ownn it - but not that cheap, and the new lens you're thinking of is probably similar to it apart from the extra "reach".  The 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR is a good deal cheaper.  The 70-300 without VR is cheaper still but the lack of VR could be a problem and it is said to be quite soft beyond 200mm.

- of course a super-zoom like the 18-300mm (or the 18-200mm) covers all your needs at once so could end up being cheaper

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow