Have my Canon FF compatriots tried a Fuji X camera?

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Questions thread
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,631Gear list
Like?
Re: Have my Canon FF compatriots tried a Fuji X camera?
In reply to DFPanno, Jan 9, 2013

There are already a lot of responses, so I suspect some of this has been said already.

I bought the Fuji X10 when it first came out and have recently purchased a Fuji X-E1 with 35 mm f1.4 and the kit 18-55 f2.8-4.

The X10 has served me well.  It fits nicely in a coat pocket.  The high ISO performance is credible, the jpgs are terrific.  The optics are top of the line, and IS really works.

Some frustrations--you cannot accurately frame the picture.  Sean Reid had the same complaint. The OVF shows only 85 % of the picture.  The lcd has some of the info obscured by the info bar at the bottom. Many have complained about ORBS, but this has not been an issue with me.  Finally RAW support is not good.

Nonetheless, if I were to give you a set of 8x10's (as I did with a photography class I teach) and ask you to select the images taken with my X10 and those taken with my 5DMKIIIm you would not be able to do so.

Bottom line is that I have had gotten pictures with my X10 that I could not get with my full frame cameras because it is usually with me.  Do note that the X20 has just been announced.

I have not had time to thoroughly evaluate the X-E1, but here are some preliminary thoughts.  The optics are really good.  Think "L".  The 35 mm f1.4 is reported to be as good as anything Zeiss or Leica put out.  I have no reason to doubt that statement.  The kit lens seems to be on a par with my Canon 24-105 f4L in terms of quality--very sharp wide open.

I still have to get used to the EVF.  I doubt that the camera will be particularly good for action pictures.  Focusing with the kit lens seems ok, but not in the league of the 5D MKIII.  I am still evaluating that.  In my first attempt to take portraits in my family room with the 35 mm f1.4 at f1.4, I found the autofocusing frustratingly slow, although the picture were razor sharp.

Performance at high ISO seems excellent.  I have only taken it up to ISO 1600, but at 1600 there was NO noise, sort of like shooting with my 40D at ISO 400.

When I have more experience with the X-E1, I will be doing a full review.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Len-New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow