Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kevkelsar
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Opinions/input appreciated!
Jan 9, 2013

About a year ago I decided to finally go from the average every day person who just takes garbage looking point and shoot shots to someone who at least understands what they're doing to progress towards decent/good shots.  My intention has never been to be pro/semi-pro, or even get to the point where someone would pay me for my photography (although that would be nice!   ).  My main intention has been to simply capture the moments of my family in a very pleasing way.  I also like to do some macro shots here and there, and occasional landscapes when I'm out and about on vacation or something.

So, a year ago, to get my feet wet, I bought a Panasonic LX5.  Nothing too fancy, basically a glorified point and shoot.  It has been absolutely wonderful for me to learn how to use a camera.  I've had a lot of fun experimenting with aperture and shutter priority settings depending on what I'm shooting to get desired effects.

However, Christmas day turned out to be a kind of turning point for me with respect to photography.  Due to opening of presents with the kids indoors (poor lighting), I ended up having to use ISO 800 and above with my LX5.  The results...practically every single shot was so noisy that I cannot really use them.  They look TERRIBLE.  Even when I used the built in flash (I know, not ideal either), the results with ISO 400 were less than spectacular but at least somewhat salvageable.

So, I'm looking to upgrade.  I initially looked at the Nikon 5100 and Canon t3i (they are roughly in my price range...too high if I want anything other than the kit lens) as they seem to be what would fit my skill level in the DSLR scheme of things.  However, I decided to also check into mirrorless and came across the G3.  Not only is it more affordable, but it seems to out perform the 5100 (my previous choice) in some categories based on cameralabs.com's reviews.

After looking things over and over, I have almost come to a conclusion:  Buy a G3 (body only) and the 25mm f/1.4 lens (roughly $750 total).  I would still have my LX5 for macro and landscapes, but would that 25mm f/1.4 lens be an ideal lens for photographing my family?  Or would the 20mm f/1.7 be sufficient (saves about $150)?  Anything else I'm missing/not considering properly?  Thanks!

kevkelsar's gear list:kevkelsar's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D5200 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow