It's time to abandon PhotoShop

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tom Axford
Senior MemberPosts: 1,189
Like?
Gimp is a free alternative to Photoshop
In reply to Chester S Parks, Jan 9, 2013

I use the Gimp as it is free, works on both Macs and PCs (I have used it on both), and is very good in its capabilities. The fact that it is free is both an advantage (for the obvious reason) and a disadvantage (if something goes wrong, you can't go back to the supplier and demand that it is fixed).

Another disadvantage is that it has an entirely different user interface to PS and fewer tutorials are available to guide you through learning it. I found it quite frustrating at times when I was first learning it.

However, I now use it frequently and I am very impressed with its range of capabilities (in some respects possibly better than PS). I also find it easy and convenient now that I am used to it.

It is worth mentioning that for some operations Gimp runs more slowly that PS, but I don't find it a problem with the current iMacs - it rarely takes more than a second or two for normal operations. If you're running OS X 10.8, then presumably you have a fairly recent machine and it should have plenty of processor power.

The Gimp website is www.gimp.org

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow