McSpin
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?
Re: and there is the problem...
In reply to mike703, Jan 9, 2013

mike703 wrote:

McSpin wrote:

mike703 wrote:

The video gives the clear impression that vigorously sousing a K30 + WR lens with water is a non-issue and that the camera can take any environmental conditions it will meet. So why should a little humidity be a problem?

You say "a little humidity", like it was something that would be easy to keep out.

Whether it is a little or a lot, it should be possible to keep out - if Pentax's marketing claims are to be believed.

Where do they claim that condensation will not occur due to sudden temperature changes? Where do they state that it is an air-tight camera that keeps humidity out?

John Carlson's video says that the seals 'prevent the intrusion of water' (0:24) and is 'designed for worry free use in any weather conditions' (0:46). There are no cautionary comments about 'but you might want to be careful when...'

No ad can possibly comment on every possible non-weather situation.  This was a non-weather situation that the OP had a problem with.  Expecting them to do so, is simply unreasonable in my opinion.

I will bet that splashed water is far easier to keep out than a change in humidity - by 100 fold.

Any evidence for that? In heavy rain there is a lot of humidity present as well.

To keep out humidity, the camera and lens would have to be air-tight.  We all know they are not. To keep out splashed water, the camera has to simply have the rubber seals in the right spots.  Like I said, humidity is not the culprit, it's the sudden temperature change.

Besides, the issue is not simply humidity, it's the sudden change in temperature which causes the condensation.

It makes no difference where the humidity comes from; water is water, whether it has condensed all over the camera because the camera has been taken into a hot and humid environment (the OP), or because you have emptied a glass of water all over it (John Carlson's video).

Sure it makes a difference.  Even if common sense doesn't,  the manual warns against the sudden temperature change.

The OP may have a warranty issue, but denying the sudden temperature swing as the most likely culprit appears seems to be out of place here.

I said no such thing. Read my earlier post. The issue is not the source of the condensation, but the fact that the camera / lens combination could not keep it out.

Of course, the source is always a consideration.  Dunking the camera in a lake is far different from  some rain falling on it.

I agree that a warm and humid environment with a cold camera represents a severe challenge to weather sealing - particularly with a zoom lens - and you and I know enough to take sensible precautions. But - and this is my point - the video doesn't say this. It gives the clear impression that the camera can handle any likely environmental conditions ('Bring it on, mother nature!' at 1:00) - even with a non-DA* lens on it. I am surprised that this video is so cavalier and sweeping in its claims... it is clearly misleading.

I'm not sure if the video is misleading or if you are simply reading too much into it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow