Nikon help for Canon user.

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
ralphcramdon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170
Like?
Re: Nikon help for Canon user.
In reply to PhotoKhan, Jan 9, 2013

PhotoKhan wrote:

Decided to come here, to the "dark side" (...brrr...is that a draft? ...) in search of some pointers in order to allow me helping out a friend who is about to buy a D600.

He asked me about lenses.

I have no experience whatsoever with Nikon lenses and only felt comfortable to recommend the AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED because he mentioned the main purpose of the gear, for the moment, would be to shoot architectural interiors photos.

I felt absolutely confident in the recommendation since this is a lens praised by everybody, seemingly a truly outstanding piece of optics (...and I've confirmed it, myself, by downloading and analyzing sample photos from this lens, in the past).

...Now, he also wants to get a "general purpose/walkaround" lens, one that won't break the bank and he asked me about these 3:

1. Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR)

2. Nikon 24-120 f/4 VR G

3. Nikon 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 VR

I went about checking them out and, to my surprise, all 3 get humdrum reviews in the sites I visited...The 28-300, especially, seems to be very weak.

Notwithstanding the expensive 24-70 f/2.8, isn't there a generic-zoom lens (from Nikon or a third party) that has good optics at an acceptable price.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks for any input.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

the 24-120/4 is a fine lens, almost as good as the 24-70 and the f/4 is alot more fun.

The range, size/wt, VR and IQ at f/4 make it a special lens IMO....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
???New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow