So - whats your take on DP3 M ?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Joerg V
Contributing MemberPosts: 581Gear list
Like?
Re: So - whats your take on DP3 M ?
In reply to GrahamJohn, Jan 9, 2013
I have a DP1S and wouldn't dream of taking serious pictures without a tripod. As someone mentioned earlier the medium telephoto will magnify camera shake pushing minimum shutter speed up to 1/80th. And that's for young guys with steady hands. Trouble is many of the best images present themselves in low-light situations, think of those overcast days with saturated colors. Sigma has given us potentially the best image quality currently available in the digital world, but if you lose a fair percentage of the resolution because of hand/camera movement, what's the point?

Hi John,

that's very close to my thoughts. 90% of my 1/80s images shot with a DP1 are fine. But for a camera with an increased resolution like the DP1M the shutter time should roughly be 60% lower, so for my hands a sharp image would require 1/125s at 28mm focal length. I have no experience with the 75mm focal length, but my gut feeling is that you need 1/300s to prevent motion blur. So the lack of image stabilization might be problematic with the DP3M.

Joerg

Joerg V's gear list:Joerg V's gear list
Sigma DP1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow