Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nikonworks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202
Like?
Tripod mounted P7700 Optical/Digital Zoom comparison
Jan 9, 2013

Got a brief chance to try out my P7700's digtal zoom with my tripod.

By the water it was a bit breezey so I weighted down my tripod with my camera bag.

At full digtal zoom, 800mm equivalent, the camera was still shaking a bit in the breeze.

I decided to use Shutter priority at 1/3200 for the wide shot and 1/1600 for the optical zoom and digital zoom shots in order to freeze the subject.

This caused me to sacrafice proper initial exposure for the sake of a still image.

The first three images are direct OOC, full sized shot at 28mm, 200mm optical zoom,

and 800mm digital zoom, (all equivalent mm settings).

The fourth image is a 100% crop of the 200mm optical zoom shot after increasing the size of the image from 4000 x 3000 pixels to 16,000 x 12,000 pixels in Photoshop CS4.

I used a 4x multiplier as the 800mm equivalent of the full digital zoom is 4x the 200mm equivalent of the full optical zoom.

The fifth image is a 100% crop of the original full digital zoom image.

The sixth image is a side by side comparison of the two crops.

28 mm

200mm Optical Zoom.

800mm full digital zoom.

100% crop of resized 16,000 x 12,000 200 mm optical zoom shot.

100% crop of the original 800mm full digital zoom shot.

Horizontl side by side comarison as labled.

My observation is that there is not much difference between the 100% crop of the resized 200mm optical zoom shot and the 100% crop of the full 800mm .

I prefer the Full Digital Zoom shot due to the ability to see what is going on in the field of view.

At 200mm optical zoom, you are not able to see what is taking place in the field of view.

Hope you find this interesting.

P.S. the images are all OOC, no adjustments excpt the resizing of the 200mm shot and the 100% crops.

Nikon Coolpix P7700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow