The new Fuji X100S looks like it could give the RX1 some competition.

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?
Re: The new Fuji X100S looks like it could give the RX1 some competition.
In reply to LTZ470, Jan 9, 2013

If I recall correctly, the Fujifilm X cameras apply a good deal of noise smoothing even when set to their lowest levels. This makes it difficult to compare Fujifilm at it's lowest luminance and colour noise suppression settings with the Sony cameras where both are disabled when NR is set to off.

A good while back in this subforum someone else posted two simple comparisons and I took some time to show why the images shown were not useful for comparison. The conclusion was that yes, you can get very clean looking JPGs straight out of either camera; that the Fujifilm X cameras do this by default but tend to lose some detail. Those that want to tweak there JPGs or work with raw files can get exactly what they want out of either.

At this time unless one shoots only JPGs or is willing to restrict themselves to the few tools that more or less work with X-Trans files, I don't believe Fujifilm's X-Trans sensor arrangement offers useful advantages. If Adobe ever fully supports X-Trans then even I will re-look at Fujifilm X cameras.

To answer the OP's original post, of course the X100S will pose new competition to the RX1, particularly because some RX1 buyers are interested in the camera as it promised to handle better than the closest competitor, the original X100. From the sounds of it, the X100S will be a marked improvement.

But unless Fujifilm does some magic with the lens on the X100S, the RX1 will probably maintain an IQ advantage for some. The rendering of the RX1 lens is excellent. If Sony made an Alpha mount lens that rendered like that, For that rendering on a full frame DSLR I'd have paid $1,000 or $1,600 and may have bought an A99 instead of upgrading my DSLR via a D800, I like it that much. It's be nice to see a range of subjects taken with the RX1 and Nikon's 35/1.4G and Canon's 35L and the new Sigma 35/1.4 for comparison.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow