Wild Life Lens Question.

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
SpartanWarrior
Senior MemberPosts: 2,870Gear list
Like?
Re: Wild Life Lens Question.
In reply to Howard S, Jan 9, 2013

Howard S wrote:

For BIF the 400/5.6 is the best option mainly because of it's focus speed. I had one for about 8 years and just sold it and my 500/4 is because BIF is a much smaller % of what I shoot these days and I wanted increased flexibility so I bought the 100-400 (again). It's slower to focus and not quite as sharp but the difference in sharpness is very minimal. BTW for birds I use the 7D and 1D2.

You mentioned the 300/4 IS which I also have and for BIF it's way too slow with a 1.4x, great for dragonflies and stuff that size though. For now I'll probably hang on the the 300/4 for close focus stuff because of the loss of focal length on the zoom at near minimum focus distance. I did a quick test to check my memory and you can see the results HERE on the 7D.

Thanks I will probably option and get the 400 5.6, those pictures you show are sharp;)

SpartanWarrior's gear list:SpartanWarrior's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow