Started Dec 26, 2012 | Questions thread
fotowbert
Contributing MemberPosts: 994Gear list
Like?
Faulty lens aperture mechanism
In reply to coreyinoz, Jan 9, 2013

coreyinoz wrote:

santiclaws wrote:

Look through the lens. When you adjust the aperture ring, do the blades actually move? You should have a big circle at the widest aperture (1.8) and a tiny circle at the other extreme. If that is not happening, you have a problem with the lens.

No - looking through the lens (no adapter) and I don't see any blades at all - no matter the setting. I guess this supports the theory that the lens is busted and always wide open.

I wasn't clear if I was meant to be able to see the aperture blades. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sounds like you have a faulty lens aperture mechanism.  What you describe is not normal operation.

This is how it should behave.  The lens aperture blades should close to the f value you set on the aperture ring.  A spring inside the lens actually moves the blades.

You should also see the aperture control lever on the rear of the lens move in the same direction you turn the aperture ring.   Pushing this lever CCW with your finger allows you to feel the spring force and moves the blades to wide open from the position set by the aperture ring.

• John
 fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow