Best (affordable) upgrade option for the Nikkor 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 VR kit lens?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Questions thread
nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
Re: I don't agree.
In reply to Shunda77, Jan 9, 2013

Shunda77 wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

18mm is plenty "wide enough" for landscapes, and the difference between 16 and 18 is not much.

You obviously haven't delved into landscapes much. 16mm is a world of difference.

Lol.  Silly man.  You think MAYBE I've taken a few landscapes, in the 100,000 or so shots I've taken in the last 3 years?  Maybe.

If I want wide, I reach for my Tokina 12-24.  I love wide.  But it's not always my choice for a landscape.  Here's the concept:

A really good landscape almost always has points of interest in 3 areas, the fore, mid, and background.  Therefore, when you use an ultra-wide lens, you're going to make the perspective distortion a prominent factor (the foreground will look bigger, etc).  I'm not saying that's not cool; it IS!  So much that it's quite addictive.  However, if one truly wants a REAL-looking landscape, you won't use a UWA lens.  You WILL use a UWA if you want the effect.

Just something to think about.  Here's a landscape at 50mm (75 equiv. on DX).  Looks pretty wide, doesn't it?:

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow