Is this fair game to photograph?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
gloaming
Contributing MemberPosts: 653
Like?
Re: Is this fair game to photograph?
In reply to rattymouse, Jan 9, 2013

rattymouse wrote:

You are in a hospital, and you see the possibility of a candid image, using a patient (who is not a family member nor anyone you know) in the hospital, one who is suffering from such a large degree of dementia that she does not know where she is.

Is this fair game to take a shot? How about posting it on the internet then?

An example found in this thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3364075

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

For some reason I am unable to link to and read the thread.  Horwever, from what I understand, it would be no less opportunistic, and intrusive, than taking a candid shot of a woman's chest visible through a hospital gown just because it looked beautiful or aesthetic in the eyes of the 'beholder', and of course because it was visible.  Deontologically, we are expected to treat people with dignity to the extent convenient and possible.  One way we do that is to extend courtesies.  We normally ask for a person's consent, but especially in some settings.  We wouldn't dream of entering a private wedding and commencing to snap shots over the shoulder of the hired photog, for example, but even if one were not present, we wouldn't begin to record the event on our own accord.  It would be intrusive.  Similarly, if the patient imaged in this context had not given her consent in principle, we have no business assuming she would consent to being imaged in her current state.

Or, so runs my opinion, and it reflects how I would guide my own actions.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow