Strange colored film negatives among good ones

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,769Gear list
Like?
I found out long ago
In reply to Dan Hudson, Jan 9, 2013

Dan Hudson wrote:

If I may continue this thread with another problem concerning film, here goes.....I don't seem to be able to get quality focused images at over 50% and they have considerable grain and other artifacts especially in the sky. I have tried several scanning ppi settings from 300 to 2400+ with adjustment for target size of the image, but with the same poor effects. I get bigger images, but not better. I thought I would get better enlargements from film than from my digital cameras. My scanner is an Epson Perfection V500 Photo. I do not use any scanner enhancement. My images are good in smaller sizes. Thanks for your continued help.

You're seeing quality issues because 35mm film is terrible. The negative is too small. I shot 35mm cameras for decades, from a Bolsey and a Zorki to a Canon rangefinder to a Nikon FE2. And the quality was generally miserable even though I was quite careful with exposure and processing and used Panatomic-X. There is no way 35mm can come up to 2 1/4 square. There's a huge gap.

I have found that a crop-sensor DSLR produces massively better pictures with much less effort than 35mm film. There's just nothing about 35mm film that I find superior or even equivalent.

Now once you start getting some size on your negatives, you're talking another talk. I've seen very good work from 6X6 cameras and have always been satisfied with 4X5. Digital's got a long way to go to match the resolution and scale you can get from sheet film.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow