So - whats your take on DP3 M ?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
victorgv
Contributing MemberPosts: 629Gear list
Like?
Re: So - whats your take on DP3 M ?
In reply to Richard Franiec, Jan 9, 2013

I dunno,

ILC or zoom will put DP series right out from price range at least for me.

To tell the truth i bought broken dp1s for DIY conversion to ILC but i fixed it and now afraid to do that

;-( . Just can't ruin good camera.

Richard Franiec wrote:

I think that DP3M have to be considered in context of all 3 DPM versions.

If three cameras are needed to make the system, so be it. Three focal lengths cover popular focal length choices in rangefinder terms. Of course, unlike in case of interchangeable lens DSLR, there is no choice of telephoto or wide angle option, at least for now.

Buying into DPM system you are making a firm commitment to limit your options to a few fixed focal lengths lenses. You also have to buy 3 camera bodies, each with its own sensor. Even with simplistic approach to their cameras on Sigma part, they are still quite complex devices and something going wrong is multiplied by 3 (in current DPM line-up). Of course, ideal combination of particular sensor+lens cannot be underestimated. DP1M and especially DP2M show clear advantage over SD1 and corresponding lenses. I just don't understand idea of having flagship DSLR system under performing in comparison with its compact siblings. Maybe when Sigma will perfect their DSLR lens line up to at least level of latest 30mm F1.4, each of DPM's can be considered as companion to SD1 or substitute for particular focal length.

I think that the ideal DPM would be super high quality 2, 2.5X (optically stabilized) fixed zoom lens optimised to the sensor. It would provide enough coverage for typical wide/mid focal length application at not so great loos of quality of prime lens. I won't even touch interchangeable lens concept as this idea is not really popular here, yet top of the line M4/3rd cams are the proof of very good implementation and results.

Richard

victorgv's gear list:victorgv's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow