Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sosua
Senior MemberPosts: 2,259Gear list
Like?
The focus peaking panacea
In reply to YuriS, Jan 9, 2013

I used a 5N with EVF extensively for quite a while (along with trialling the Ricoh GXR and its own form of peaking).

Focus peaking is great, but I honestly preferred the definate accuracy of magnified view whenever I had time (I.e. most of the time) to get the most out of my M mount lenses.

Focus peaking can be very accurate, but you really need to dial it in, and understand the points for each focal length and aperture to get things perfect. This involves a period of trial and error, checking focus sequences at 100% etc.

To use focus peaking at maximum accuracy takes some learning and probably takes as long as magnifying view (Rocking to the middle point between the xones of acceptable focus).

You of course also need different settings for different focal lengths and apertures (playing with drastically different DOF). E.g. try focussing an ultra wide on a sunny day at F5.6 - everything will be 'peaking', even at the lowest sensitivity level.

Naturally, you can focus with peaking in 0.5-1.0 seconds once you get used to it, but you won't be getting the full potential of your exotic prime lenses and lucious APS-C sensor.

Its good fun though!

-- hide signature --

www.samwaldron.co.nz

Sosua's gear list:Sosua's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow