new life for an old Mac mini

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
kb2zuz
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,196Gear list
Like?
Re: new life for an old Mac mini
In reply to james_the_first, Jan 8, 2013

If you have a spare HDMI or VGA input port on your TV, it should be pretty easy to get an adaptor to hook up your mini to the TV. If you have an iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad there is a nice remote app Apple has that can remotely control iTunes for playing music and movies. I have an old laptop hooked up to my TV and I use a relatively cheap logitec wireless keyboard with a built-in trackpad, it's very nice for basic web browsing using the TV.

If you don't go that route a small monitor, speakers, a keyboard might make it a nice addition in the kitchen for not just music but also looking up recipes (or cooking videos) on the internet.

You can also set it up in a closet with a couple external hard drives attached if you need an extra place to back up data.

I don't know if you play any games, but some people use them for things like having private game servers. My laptop I have hooked up to my TV hosts a Minecraft server that me and 3 friends play on.

-- hide signature --

\~K

kb2zuz's gear list:kb2zuz's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Epson Stylus Pro 4880 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow