Strange color negatives among good ones

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
mburns
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?
Re: Strange color negatives among good ones
In reply to Dan Hudson, Jan 8, 2013

I would definitely scan with the dull emulsion side down and the curled ends down. The image is not reversed as you look down on it on the scanner. This allows the scanner sensor an unobstructed view of the developed emulsion. Just undo the scanner's reversal of the image in post processing.

I read that scanners do autofocus, so you should have some flexibility.

The available print sizes are only a matter of arithmetic once you assemble the basic facts. (11" by 14" prints do not exceed the capability of digital cameras.)

My Digital Rebel yields 6.3 million single color pixels. I would discount that number by half to 3.2 million full color pixels. But then, I would be more than willing to try  to artificially enhance that count up to the 8.64 million full color pixels needed for a perfect 8" by 12" print, at 300 dpi.

You have a 2400 dpi scanner setting available, that yields full color pixels. The film frame is 24mm by 36mm, so you have a yield of 7.714 million full color pixels. (I use the "units" command line calculator.) I would willingly try to enhance that, with noise reduction, and interpolation and sharpening, to the 19.44 million full color pixels that make up a 12" by 18" print. Just specify 300 dpi and a size of 12" by 18" in your post processor.

Making color curves for scanned negatives, is a task that I am not finding to be easy. I think that I want at least four calibrated points on the curves for each color - red, green and blue.

mburns's gear list:mburns's gear list
Samsung ST65 Canon EOS 300D Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +48 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow