Any suggestions for better wedding lighting technique?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
byawk
Regular MemberPosts: 214
Like?
Any suggestions for better wedding lighting technique?
Jan 8, 2013

I know this is a sort of general question, but I've lately had a real passion for improving the lighting of my wedding photography.  I always do well enough to please the client, but I've lately wanted to take it to a new level.  There are usually time/location/tact constraints for weddings, but I want to make the most out of what I have.  Are there any lighting techniques that you guys frequently employ while in the field?

For getting-ready shots, I often look for soft window lighting, but what do you do if none is available?  Does anyone ever use an off-camera flash or a bounce card for these types of shots?

How about for outdoor, romantic shots of the bride and groom?  How/when do you employ a reflector?  Or do you ever use off-camera flash/strobe lighting for this?  In harsh sunlight, do you always just look for shade, or do you ever use a scrim to block/diffuse the sun?

Any advice on reception lighting?  If the DJ or videographer has a light, I'll often shoot into that, but I think I'll start setting up a flash of my own.  Any advice on the best way to do this?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow