Silkypix Developer Studio Pro for Panasonic - Special !!!

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
ChrisJS
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
Re: Silkypix Developer Studio Pro for Panasonic - Special !!!
In reply to Florida Nature Photographer, Jan 8, 2013

Florida Nature Photographer wrote

The main outstanding problem I have is how to use my ColorChecker in conjunction with SilkyPix.

-- hide signature --

Florida

Hi Florida,

Your ColorChecker is still a valuable tool to (x-rite terminology follows)

• neutralise and create your look with enhancement patches
  • check and evaluate shadow details or highlight clipping
  • check and control color shifting

but perhaps most usefully for you at the moment is as a neutral grey to set your white Balance - SP will do the rest...

In fact SilkyPix even sell the X-Rite ColorChecker

Another quote from x-rite: If your Raw processing application does not support custom DNG profiles, you can still use ColorChecker Passport to provide a physical reference for color editing. The Enhancement Target also offers such things as exposure evaluation and one-click white balancing for Raw editing packages that support these features.

As you found out when shooting scenes with artificial lightning and no flash, different lights can vary significantly in color temperature. The color temperatures for florescent lights ranges from around 2700K to around 9300K so I'm told. Therefore the florescent white balance settings in SP and Adobe can be a hit and miss affair - I find mostly useless in either ...

In addition florescent lights that are not high CRI (Color Reproduction Index) lights and may well have very large spikes in the color spectrum. Where these spikes are located and how large they are varies depending on the manufacturer, the model of the light and possibly other factors such as age and room temperature!

In these situations use a neutral grey card (such as ColorChecker or WhiBal) and shoot in the scene either before or after the crucial shot - in developing use of the grey balance tool in SP / ACR / LR quickly fixes the WB.

If you intend to regulary use the same subject and camera position and the same lighting condition save the WB settings as a preset or Taste - saves using the grey card for future shots.

Some chat around the net of using ColourChecker to set various profiles for situations of say, cloudy summer, sun, etc but personally I doubt the accuracy of that simplicity, if accurate colour representation is really crucial to an image use a grey card at the time to set WB. ´╗┐There are various guides about on YouTube or http://michaeltapesdesign.com/ and others to further expand...

As for colorchecker and DNG profiling as described on their website you must use Adobe DNG and the plugin or I believe CaptureOne.

Hope this helps further - Remember I'm no expert - just a tinkerer... many know much more..

Kind Regards
Chris

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Me!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow