Best (affordable) upgrade option for the Nikkor 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 VR kit lens?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Questions thread
vzlnc
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Re: I don't agree.
In reply to Shunda77, Jan 8, 2013

Shunda77 wrote:

vzlnc wrote:

Actually there isnt a very good alternative to the 18-55 kit lens. All the other 18-XX lenses are also like kit lenses and are not an upgrade quality wise. Infact 18-55 is better bcoz its cheap, and covers the most important part of the range. Tele could be covered by either the 70-300 or 55-300 or 55-200. They are all equal performers with small differences like focus speed, manual override etc. Thats the problem with DX, there arent any options at the wide end. There is the 16-85 which is good, but too expensive and not wide-enough as a wide angle lens. Isnt too much of an upgrade over the 18-XX series.

I really don't agree with any of that at all, the 16-85 is a much better, sharper lens than the kit 18-55 and it's 24mm equivalent wide angle is definitely very useful, in fact, it is the best walk around nature/landscapes lens on the market. The creative freedom and better image quality of this lens makes it worth every extra penny.

There is no way the kit lens is an equal in image quality to the 16-85vr, just no way.

An 18-55 is just too short and not wide enough for a practical nature/landscapes kit, especially in a 'walk around' context. Even with a tele option added to the kit 18-55, lens changing will drive you nuts.

A far better option is the 16-85vr (or 18-105vr) and then the tele lens as well.

The newer DX cameras appear to really come to life with the 16-85vr, it really is an excellent lens worth every $.

I think the retail price of the 16-85 is too high. For half the price, its a good deal.

For landscape, stopped down on a tripod, pictures from both the lenses will be indistinguishable.

For really good quality, why not go for the third party 17-50 2.8 zooms for almost the same price as the 16-85.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow