x100s will have 14bit RAWs

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Charuteiro
Contributing MemberPosts: 513
Like?
Re: x100s will have 14bit RAWs
In reply to nixda, Jan 8, 2013

nixda wrote:

I can't speak for the software developers, but I would think it won't be a big deal, provided they wrote their software with a smidgeon of foresight (which is in fact asking a lot...). For example, most likely, the numbers get internally translated into 16- or even 32-bit integers, which would accommodate either 12- or 14-bit numbers just fine. That should not have an effect on processing. However, one can also come up with other storage paradigms, to enable improvements in speed for example. Also, they might have routines that are optimized for different types of numbers and that would have to be re-written, so who knows.

Thanks for the information.  That reminded me of something I had hread about OPE, but didn't fully appreciate...

Oloneo PhotoEngine and Oloneo HDRengine are the only application to offer digital photographers full control over light and exposure in real-time, as if they were still behind the lens.

At the core of Oloneo PhotoEngine and Oloneo HDRengine is a fully real-time, 32-bit floating-point per channel (96-bit per pixel), High Dynamic Range (HDR), ultra-wide gamut, full resolution and non-destructive image-editing engine. Oloneo's color model handles a range of colors that largely surpasses what printers or screens are capable of displaying today. Combined with the suppression of any color shifting and clipping, it guarantees photographers against any loss of image data during the HDR process.

http://www.oloneo.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow