Olympus SZ-31 chattering auto focus issue?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
likeacat
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Olympus SZ-31 chattering auto focus issue?
Jan 8, 2013

Okay, so i know this topic has probably been touched on before in the past, because I know I'm not the first to complain about this. I've also noted that this is an issue with other Olympus models as well, not just the SZ-31.

So the auto focus is noisy as heck. Which would be fine, if the camera didn't include a built-in mic. It's absolutely no good if you are at all interested in shooting, well, any kind of video really. Maybe the fast-motion capture where it does not record sound, but the 1080p is ruined. The chattering is not just audible, it's noisy. It completely contaminates the audio.

The thing is, everywhere I've gone, be it Youtube, dpreview, or various other forums, most everyone who has this camera acknowledged this issue. I figure, it's just the build of camera, it cannot be fixed or corrected. Read stories of tech support confirming this, saying that "regrettably" it's an issue with this line, something about waterproofing the mic? In other words, they can't resolve it. Yet, on beginners sub-forum, I was just informed that someone has this camera and it doesn't have this issue?

I really want to love this thing, but I don't really have time to forever contemplate a dream that there are units out there that function more acceptably than mine. Though it could be the truth. I noticed the date of manufacture on my battery is March? Now I reckon they've already stopped production on the SZ-31, otherwise there's a possibility that I did end up with a very early unit? Would that matter anyway?

So really, want I need to know is whether or not to bail on this camera. If there is no hope to resolve this, then I'm pretty sure I want to. I'm already looking into the Pana ZS20, or perhaps the Sony 20v, or Fuji F770 as a replacement. Though not as jam-packed with as many creative features as the SZ-31, they would suffice overall, especially in terms of 1080p recording if the test videos on Youtube are to be trusted.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow