50mm manual focus lens for X Pro1?

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Fabio Amodeo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,202Gear list
Like?
Re: 50mm manual focus lens for X Pro1?
In reply to designdog, Jan 8, 2013

I have found that my best performing lens on my XP-1 is the 55mm micro Nikkor. Up to 5.6 it outperforms my 50mm Summicron, which is the other lens I use in this range. It may be bettered by the the Zeiss Planar 50 for Leica M, which I tested very briefly and not in a controlled environment. I understand that it does not respond to your needs, but I do not see much point in using a very fast lens on the X.trans sensor, being high ISO so good. If  you want blurred backgrounds, I suggest that using a longer lens may be a more practical solution. It brings an advantage: 85-105mm lenses have alwas been some of the best products offered by the industry. On the contrary, 50mm very fast lenses were not supposed to be used at full aperture (apart from specialized f/1.2 lenses, like the Noct-Nikkor, sold today at fantasy prices). The f/1.4 was supposed to help people to focus decently in pre-autofocus times, and have some headroom at better apertures, which used to go from 2.2 down.

Fabio Amodeo's gear list:Fabio Amodeo's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow