DON'T get EOS 1DX too wet !!

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Turbo Hampster
Contributing MemberPosts: 524Gear list
Like?
Re: DON'T get EOS 1DX too wet !!
In reply to Newspaper photog, Jan 8, 2013

Newspaper photog wrote:

I know what some are saying about how good the weather seals are with the 1DX BUT. I have $1200.00 worth of damage to tell you to take the usual precautions. I was photographing an early motning building fire in moderate to heavy COLD rain. 15 minutes with my 5D mark 111 and a 100-400mm lens. I realized that I probably should be using the 1DX so I took it out of my camera bag and used it for 10-15minutes. The lens died and so did the 1DX (Error 80) while the 5D Mark111 is fine. Yes, I am aware it is my fault, but I was a little surprised. I thought it would fare better.

-- hide signature --

Newspaper photog

Sorry for the damage and expense!

I haven't had any problems with mine in the rain yet...

It seems that using a camera in the rain seem to be a bit of a lottery, some people have problems after a little use and some never have any problems.

Stupid question but did you change the lens in the rain?

And that is possibly how the rain got in causing the lens and camera to fail?

Or maybe because the 100-400mm isn't fully weather sealed? (it doesn't have the rubber gasket on the mount)???

Also out of interest what was the damage? And did they tell you how the water got in?

Turbo Hampster's gear list:Turbo Hampster's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow