Just starting out, kind of. Looking for advice.

Started Nov 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
munchmeister
Contributing MemberPosts: 969Gear list
Like?
Re: Just starting out, kind of. Looking for advice.
In reply to munchmeister, Jan 8, 2013

BTW, that $399 quote for the Celestron C6-A OTA was from High Point Scientific. Again, no affiliation, but they are a reputable dealer and have good prices, good selection. And though the OP did not mention anything about this, I'd recommend the free Stellarium program. It is very user friendly and a super program for learning the sky. One of the uses I found for Stellarium is to use it to identify star fields, in photos I had taken that turned out well. Go to the date and time of the photo from your EXIF info and check out the star patterns from your photo. Kind of a nice surprise to find that what you photographed randomly (in my case) was actually a named star cluster. Who'da thunk? And another really helpful feature of Stellarium is that you can set up your eyepiece parameters using an oculars plugin which lets you define your telescope/ eyepiece combination and shows you what you can expect to see with that combo. Very helpful for planning a viewing or photo session. It even lets you set up parameters for the cameras sensor size, showing what will be captured with that particular sensor/ scope. The plugin is already installed in the later versions of Stellarium. There are other planetarium programs, as well, but I think Stellarium is the most user/ beginner friendly. And it is free.

munchmeister's gear list:munchmeister's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow