Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,918Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to YuriS, Jan 8, 2013

YuriS wrote:

Hello everybody!

I know this topic / question already discussed, but I would like to re-open it from different point of view.

I’m enthusiastic photographer (for about 25 years - not professional). Currently I use Olympus E-PL1, my favorite activity – take landscape pictures with Fisheye and, along with my wife, shot art portraitures with legacy manual lenses (especially Minoltas 50mm and 85mm).

http://natalispalette.jimdo.com/photo/minolta-md-rokkor-50mm-f1-4-lens/

http://natalispalette.jimdo.com/photo/samyang-7-5-mm-f3-5-umc-fish-eye-mft/

We decided to upgrade our gear and inputs for our decision are:

1. Body for $800-$1000.
  2. Mirrorless system to adapt legacy lenses.
  3. Tilt LCD screen, EVF preferable.
  4. As large as possible physical sensor size (not M-pixels).
  5. MF assistance for legacy lenses and Friendly buttons customization / menu.

Two candidates (Olympus OM-D E-M5 and Sony NEX-6) are perfectly fit to me. Besides lens availability (not so important to me – I use legacy and adapters are cheap) there are three major differences:

1. In body stabilization - Olympus OM-D E-M5 win

2. Larger sensor - Sony NEX-6 win

3. About 25% (in Europe) price difference. - Sony NEX-6 win

Does Larger sensor for less money worth more than In body stabilization? M-m-m-m… May be yes. So Sony NEX-6 looks preferable. Or possibly I am missing some other points? Please comment.

4. Focus assist for MF legacy lenses : the Sony has focus peaking (aka a red edge appears in the picture indicating whether you are in focus or not and which parts of the scene ar in focus). I don't know whether the Nex-6 offers magnifying ? Probably too. You can activate a fake focus peaking using the keyline artfilter mode 2 with the E-M5. The focus with magnifier works well with the E-M5, but focus peaking may be another advantage of the Nex6.

5. If you plan to use almost exclusively legacy lenses, you may not care a lot about that, but the MFT system has an impressive lenses line up. And the MFT system IMO has found a sweet spot : a better compromise between sensor size and image IQ on one side and lenses sizes on the other. If you think that you may end using native lenses too, then  the E-M5 is linked to a better system.

6. Thom Hogan has awarded the title of Best serious compact of 2012 to  the E-M5; you can read about the reasons of his choice compared to other mirrorless systems here , including a comparison of the E-M5 advantages over the Nex6.  He thought the focusing wasn't as fast with the Nex6, the E-M5 was offering more flexibility and the Nex6 lacks a touch screen. Read it : it is a good analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of both cameras plus two others.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow