Best (affordable) upgrade option for the Nikkor 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 VR kit lens?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Questions thread
vzlnc
Regular MemberPosts: 191
Like?
Re: Best (affordable) upgrade option for the Nikkor 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 VR kit lens?
In reply to Suwanavi, Jan 8, 2013

Actually there isnt a very good alternative to the 18-55 kit lens. All the other 18-XX lenses are also like kit lenses and are not an upgrade quality wise. Infact 18-55 is better bcoz its cheap, and covers the most important part of the range. Tele could be covered by either the 70-300 or 55-300 or 55-200. They are all equal performers with small differences like focus speed, manual override etc. Thats the problem with DX, there arent any options at the wide end. There is the 16-85 which is good, but too expensive and not wide-enough as a wide angle lens. Isnt too much of an upgrade over the 18-XX series. The 17-55 2.8 zooms are huge and expensive, but I think in real use, image quality will not be significantly different. A cheap 35 or 50mm 1.8 for a fraction of the cost will be faster in low light and the 50mm has good bokeh as well.

I think going for a wide angle like Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 will be a very nice addition to ur system. A completely new perspective/focal length not covered by any of the lenses mentioned above. I think putting more money on the 18-55mm range on DX doesnt give much benefit over kit lenses.

Another option is to go for macro lenses, that will open up new avenues for photography. Any of the 60mm, 105mm etc will be good.

Yet another option is the 85mm 1.8. Will be very good for portraits.

I think going for a all in one multipurpose lens like 18-200mm or 18-300mm defeats the logic of an interchangable lens camera. None of those are going to beat the 18-55 + 55-300 quality wise.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow