Indoor dog shows: lens advice for my 60D

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,494
Like?
Re: Billlythek
In reply to linzybel, Jan 8, 2013

If you are using a manual focus lens, autofocus will definitely help.  You said you thought you were shooting at about f/2.8.  Is that correct?  What is the max aperture of the lens you used?  It would help to know that for sure.  Buying another f/2.8 lens will not help your shutter speed.  But if you can shoot at f/1.8 or even f/2, that would help.  Of course then you have to start worrying about depth of field, but that is less of a problem with a crop sensor camera.

I have a feeling you are probably cost sensitive, so I might suggest the EF 85mm f/1.8.  For an even cheaper solution, you may want to try the EF 50mm f/1.8.  These are both very sharp and good bang for the buck.  The 50mm is not particularly well made, though.

The key, though, is getting your shutter speed up with moving subjects.  For dim lighting that means either larger aperture or higher ISO.  Flash would also help fix the problem, but you say that isn't allowed?

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow