rkeller
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066
Like?
Re: Ditto
In reply to RealPancho, Jan 8, 2013

RealPancho wrote:

rkeller wrote:

RealPancho wrote:

"If you pick up a camera with any sort of serious intent, you will at least occasionally need to use a flash. Done deal. Lock solid, Take it to the bank." - Joe McNally

Seems pretty narrow-minded.

On the contrary. It's the "natural" light or nothing crowd who is narrow-minded.

Logically, his statement puts "occasional use of flash" as a necessary condition of "serious intent." This is patently narrow-minded and absurd. He is imposing his chosen methodology upon others.

As for the natural light or nothing crowd, if you mean a group of people who dismiss anything shot with other than natural light, then yes, that is also narrow-minded. But if you mean those who choose to use only natural light in their photography, what concern is it of yours? I respect both the use and avoidance of flash equally and unconditionally.

Eh. Show me a well-rounded professional photographer who never has to use flash.

"And no photographs taken with the aid of flash light, either, if only out of respect for the actual light - even when there isn't any of it." - Henri Cartier-Bresson, The Decisive Moment

Whether Cartier-Bresson could be considered "well-rounded" or "professional," I couldn't care less. I'm most interested in photography as art, not as commercial enterprise. Understand, I mean no offense. It's a fine way to earn a living, and while I might enjoy it, I doubt I'm suited to it. And I do like photographs of all kinds, regardless of the impetus for their creation. What I don't care for is dogma.

good quote. But of course, HCB's statement is as much dogma as anything else. Maybe even more so. And the flashes of his day were clunky beasts, incapable of being wielded with precision and grace.

-- hide signature --

"If you simplify your English, you are freed from the worst follies of orthodoxy. You cannot speak any of the necessary dialects, and when you make a stupid remark its stupidity will be obvious, even to yourself." - George Orwell "Politics and the English Language"
"Unfortunately, in digital photography a lot of people are seeing pixels, not photographs ... Everyone together now: it's not the pixels. Sing it with me." - Thom Hogan
"If you pick up a camera with any sort of serious intent, you will at least occasionally need to use a flash. Done deal. Lock solid, Take it to the bank." - Joe McNally

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow