ejcrouse
Regular MemberPosts: 146
Like?
Re: Beauty Hunters
In reply to Vandyu, Jan 8, 2013

Vandyu wrote:

ejcrouse wrote:

Vandyu wrote:

Nicely said, Betsy. Sometimes in seeking out the beauty of life, we inadvertently witness the startling, the disheartening, and the painful moments of being alive. Some of the most famous photographs depict the inhumane side of mankind, or the natural drive of predators, but fortunately, the majority of postings here bring joy and a smile to one's face. I think some of the "street" photographers have captured some that angst quite well, in both color and black & white. As you know, every photo tells a story.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

Vandyu - yes, and I'm not one to turn a blind eye to pain, by any means. I'm grateful for the reporters and photographers who will go, for instance, into war zones, to chronicle the stories. We need to be aware of what is happening in our world. But there is so much pain, so evident, in the world these days, and for me, Beauty is healing. Here in this forum I'm drinking that beauty in like cold water on a hot day! <s>

Betsy

So true, Betsy. This is our escape. If I want to see the world as it often is, I can read any news website. On DPRPan, we can take a respite from reality and see life as we like it to be. Thanks for posting and sharing your optimism.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

One more thought before heading to bed, although I guess this is now off topic and perhaps straying too far into the philosophical...

I think this ​is​ the real world, just as much as the darker sides we see every day in the news and elsewhere. In fact, I believe that beauty and goodness are more real, in the sense that they are ultimately far more powerful. Think of the amount of information about local and global pain and tragedy and dark chaos we're inundated with every day through the media. If beauty and goodness weren't so powerful that comparatively small doses of them could keep us balanced and "sane" and reaching for ways to make a positive contribution, I think we'd all be goners, mentally if not physically.

And here, I can take big drinks of beauty and goodness every day! I'll soon be so balanced and sane I won't know what to do with myself. 

Betsy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow